Skip navigation

It’s been a long 3 1/2 weeks here.

The same day that I wrote my last post (Saturday, August 13), we discovered that one of our large web data servers was missing…everything.

This started a couple of weeks of time-consuming data restores. We were clocking overtime hours for the first time in months.

Now that the server is back to normal, we’re able to sit back and reassess processes here, which has led me to reassess my approach to scripting.

Over the past couple of months, I’ve been interested in testing PowerShell using Pester. However, after the past month, I think a better approach would be to use Ruby for applications that need testing (for example, scripts that delete data) and restrict PowerShell to building GUIs (since Ruby has been backward with regard to standalone GUIs) and read-only applications (for example, identifying incomplete data processing jobs)

I’m still planning┬áto use version control (Git) with PowerShell. I’m not CRAZY.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *